Rekey an Account
Delegate control to another account.
Rekeying is a powerful Algorand protocol feature that delegates control to another account. As an account holders you can keep a public address but assign different private keys. After rekeying, the 'Rekeyed-to' account gains full control over the original account.
Common use cases are:
- Changing the ownership of an account
- 1.Select the account you want to rekey. From the account side bar, swipe left on the account and tap edit.
- 2.Assign the account you want to be in control. Tap the 'Rekeyed to' field and select the desired account. Make sure this account is secure. When in doubt, create a new account for this.
- 3.Tap "Rekey", then double-check the request in the preview and confirm.
- 4.Done - You should now see a small rekey symbol next to the original account in the account list. The "Rekeyed to" field should also be populated and point to the account in control. Any signing transaction will be delegated to this newly assigned account.
Select 'Edit' and 'Rekeyed to' to begin the process. In the Rekey account view, choose the account you want to be in control.
When you're ready, select 'Rekey account' and swipe to confirm on the following screen:
You should now see a small rekey symbol next to the original account in the account list. The 'Rekeyed to' field should also be populated.
You can confirm the rekey was successful by setting up a swap and ensuring the 'Rekeyed to' field is shown before you swipe to confirm the transaction:
Watch the video below if you need any additional help with this process:
The 'Rekeyed-to' account has full control over your original account. Only the account in control can undo the rekey operation. Without access to the 'Rekeyed-to' account, your original account becomes inaccessible.
To backup and restore a rekeyed account you need to safekeep the mnemonic (seed phrase) of both accounts, original and 'Rekeyed-to' account.
For added security, you can rekey your account to a Ledger. If you need help creating a Ledger account, review how to add a Ledger account on Defly Wallet here.
Select 'Edit' and 'Rekeyed to' to begin this process. In the Rekey account view, choose the Ledger account, select "Rekey account", and swipe to confirm the action:
You can confirm the rekey was successful by setting up a swap and ensuring the 'Rekeyed to' field shows the Ledger account (before you swipe to confirm the transaction):
Connect your Ledger and confirm the transaction on this device. If the rekey was successful, the transaction will go through as expected.
Yes. To fully revert rekeying follow the same procedure and use the original account as the rekey-to account. In other words, you simply rekey the original account to itself.
Only the 'Rekeyed-to' account can authorize another rekeying operation. It is also the only account that can revert the rekeying.
For more information, please checkout: https://developer.algorand.org/docs/get-details/accounts/rekey/